Monday, August 26, 2013

Catch up: Collared dress

There's no particular pin I found
that led me to do this.
Maybe it's the idea of using what you have.
I often think of this phrase
as I make clothes for my kids.



So here's what happened.
I was sifting through the girl's clothes
and getting ready to donate some
(when you end up with 8 bins worth of clothes
for ages newborn-2T, it's time to donate!)
As I sifted, I cam across this dress
that seemed a little bit plain.



I was reluctant to part with it
since it was size 4T
and my girl doesn't have that many dresses
she can wear to church.
There's nothing particularly wrong with it.
But there's nothing particularly special either.

Anyway
as I looked at this dress,
deciding it's fate,
I figured out the dress was generally fine
but it wasn't the dress I didn't like.
It was the Collar.

I know collars are BIG now
and EVERYTHING has collars.
I liken them to pockets,
kind of like how everything has pockets now.
It's novelty
and cute
and I like them!
But
This dress didn't look that cute to me.

The collar seemed out of place.
A collar on a dress that's light pink
and springy just took the life right out of it.
Spring Pink dresses should be spun in
and run in
and skipped it!
Who skips when they're wearing a collar?

So
I decided to keep the dress
but that the collar needed to go.
I didn't know where I was going with this dress
or even if the project is "done" yet
because I might do more to it on another day
but here's what I did
and now Elli wears it quite a lot!

Here you go

Get your friend Mister Seam-Ripper.
Yes, I use this a lot so it is my friend!

Collar free!


Stay-stitch the dress back together

Ahh that's better!
Room to breath now!

Here you are my pretty!
Now it's time to play with you!

Collar pieces left over...
What to do with you?

Serge the edges because that's what you're "supposed" to do
Maybe you can be a fluffy, flowy sleeve?
Like a bell sleeves?

Eh, let's try it.
I can always enlist my little friend to rip the seams out



Not bad.
Hey! You're pretty cute!

I might take this dress
and turn it into a cute shirt someday
but today, it's a dress
that has new life given to it!

Thanks for reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment